Freeman Academy is an academic community that truly welcomes students from other countries to our school. International students are a very important component of our student body. Long-lasting friendships are established and all students are encouraged to become involved in the extracurricular activities that are offered through our school. In the past few years we have had students attend from The Gambia, Taiwan, China, Thailand, South Korea, Turkey, Germany, and Vietnam. We welcome students from all nations!
We provide English Language Learner classes, one-on-one tutoring, and evening homework support including teacher-led study sessions at the dorm.
We offer a well-rounded experience that can include:
Internships, Athletics, Capstone Project, Choir, Concert Band, Musicals
Students are taught to evaluate information, make decisions and consider outcomes. Learning is much more than memorization.
Half of our high school staff has international experience. They value international perspectives and they know our international students broaden the viewpoints of our local students.
Freeman is a rural community located in the Midwestern section of the United States. This location offers a very safe environment for students. The crime rate in this area of the nation is very low and even lower in our small town. We are located less than one hour from a major airport (Sioux Falls airport – code FSD). The city of Sioux Falls offers shopping and entertainment opportunities. South Dakota offers students the opportunity to experience the beauty of all four seasons.
Freeman Academy is authorized to issue I-20s to those students whose applications have been accepted. International Student English Testing Required.
- “One reason I love Freeman Academy is because of the relationship between students and teachers. Students and teachers are very well engaged. Teachers really focus on you”
- “Freeman Academy students are usually very busy because of all the opportunities they get. We play sports, sing in musicals and play in concert band.”
- “There are lots of sports opportunities in school. No matter how well your play, you can always experience the real game.”
- “Freeman Academy has a strong music program. The band and choir directors love to have international students participate and they give them many opportunities to perform.
- ”Teachers and school staff are friendly and encouraging.”
- “If you want a school that is welcoming, FA is the best place.”
- “If you are an international student with a strong Christian background, this is the perfect place for you. In high school you will want to go to a place where it is safe, where teachers really care about your faith, and where you can try a lot of things. Especially for international students, you will get more opportunities here than if you go to larger schools.”