fbpx

Our History

HISTORY

December 14, 1900
Freeman Academy was chartered

Fall of 1903
Instruction began

May of 1986
Freeman Junior College campus closed;
Freeman Academy remained

Fall of 1986
Grades 7 and 8 were added
to the existing 9-12 program.

Fall of 1992
Grades 5 and 6 were added to complete
the 7-8 program.

Fall of 2012
Grades 1 through 4 were added.

Freeman Academy and its programs are fully accredited by the State of South Dakota.

Since 1968, Freeman Academy has been recognized as a related body of:
The Central Plains Mennonite Conference
Mennonite Church USA

In 1987, Freeman Academy was accepted as a member of the Mennonite Secondary Education Council and now participates in its regular administrator meetings, biennial teacher convention and board workshop, and annual music festival.

Freeman Academy operates under a private corporation consisting largely of various members of Mennonite churches. However, since its inception, the corporation and school participation has always included other denominations.
There are no barriers of race, nationality, or creed.